As a homeowner, it’s important to schedule an annual appointment with an HVAC contractor to ensure your system is running properly and to prevent future breakdowns. When it comes time to hire a heating and cooling company, how do you choose the right one?
We recommend talking to a few different contractors to understand what they offer and how their pricing model works before you make a decision. To help with this process, we’ve put together a list of the top six questions to ask a potential HVAC contractor before working on your system.
- Are you licensed and insured? Almost all states require HVAC contractors to be licensed. We strongly recommend that you do not hire someone who isn’t licensed. We suggest you ask them for their license number and look it up through your state contractor licensing board. A license is proof that the HVAC contractor has the proper training to repair heating and cooling systems. We also recommend working with someone who is insured. If something goes wrong while the contractor is working in your home, their insurance should be able to cover it.
- How much experience do you have in this industry? It’s important that your HVAC contractor has previous experience working in this field. We recommend asking them how they learned the trade and if they are familiar with your type of system specifically. When a repair is needed in the future, you’ll feel more comfortable working with them again. If energy savings and efficiency is important to you, ask the contractor if they have experience in these areas and what recommendations they have for you.
- Can you provide references from past customers? Reading reviews or talking with other customers will give you insight into the contractors’ past experience, responsiveness, professionalism and more. We’d also recommend looking up this contractor on online and reading any existing reviews. If no reviews exist online and the contractor doesn’t have any references, we’d recommend going in a different direction.
- How do refunds, warranties and guarantees work? It’s important to understand if your current system is under warranty, and a good technician will follow that warranty. Additionally, ask how the guarantee and refund process works. You want to work with an HVAC contractor who is fully transparent about their policies, should anything go wrong with your system after the repair.
- When will you provide me with a quote, and what is included in the quote? What are the payment terms? It’s important to fully understand the payment terms before committing to a contractor. Ask for a detailed quote beforehand, and make sure to set the terms for exactly what you’re paying for and what could cost more depending on the work.
- Do you have a maintenance program? Most HVAC companies will have a maintenance program to ensure that your system has a regular checkup on a semi-annual basis. We also recommend asking about 24/7 services, as you’ll want to work with a company that is reliable in case of an emergency.
Clear communication is the most important part of finding a good HVAC contractor. You don’t have to be an expert in HVAC systems, but understanding the right questions to ask will help you find the right HVAC company to work with for years to come.
Are you looking for HVAC services near Canton, GA? Give us a call at 770-766-8714 or schedule an appointment online. We’d be happy to walk you through our process.