The changing of the seasons brings the perfect opportunity to schedule your annual HVAC maintenance check-up. With spring comes spring cleaning; it only makes sense to schedule a routine inspection at the same time. The purpose of this checkup is to make sure your HVAC system is in good condition after working hard all winter season and will continue running efficiently throughout the summer. It gives you peace of mind as a homeowner moving into the next season, ensuring everything is working properly and you won’t experience any surprise breakdowns.
HVAC Check-Up Benefits:
- Decreased energy consumption + lower energy bills: A system that doesn’t receive a regular tune-up will get less efficient over time, increasing your energy bills.
- Fewer future breakdowns: Annual maintenance checks catch problems before they become costly breakdowns. Prevention is essential to the long-term health of your HVAC system and a contractor is trained to catch issues before they become large repairs.
- Better indoor air quality: The cleaner and more efficient your HVAC unit is, the better the air circulating throughout your home becomes. This is healthier for everyone living in your home.
- Longer-lasting and safer equipment: Servicing your HVAC equipment allows it to operate at maximum efficency. It also adds to your unit’s lifespan, keeping it running more efficiently and safer for a longer period of time.
What to Expect During a Maintenance Check-Up
Here’s what to expect from your HVAC contractor during your annual maintenance service call:
- Checking the thermostat to confirm it is calibrated correctly ensures the utmost comfort.
- Tightening electrical connections, because loose connections can be dangerous and shorten the unit’s lifespan.
- Lubricating moving parts to prevent overheating and breakdowns.
- Inspecting the condensation drain. Over time, this drain can get dirty and a blockage could form within the pipe. Or, the drain may overflow and cause water damage to your unit or home.
- Cleaning the blower, in order to increase efficiency. Adjusting and cleaning the blower will ensure proper airflow and ultimate home comfort.
- Checking all system controls to ensure everything is operating safely and efficiently, including the start cycle and shut-off system.
- Monitoring cooling specific functions, such as cleaning the evaporator and condenser coils and checking the refrigerant coils.
- Maintaining heating specific functions, such as checking fuel line connections and inspecting the gas pressure, burner combustion and heat exchanger.
Do-It-Yourself HVAC Maintenance
Here are a few tasks you can do yourself, to secure proper HVAC functionality and better efficiency year round:
- Change the HVAC filter on a monthly basis.
- Clean the area around your outdoor unit, hosing down the dirt that may accumulate and removing all debris.
- Trimming any foliage that grows at least 18 inches from the outdoor unit.
- Protecting supply and return registers and vents by unblocked them from drapes, rugs, furniture, clothes, toys and more.
HVAC maintenance is something to be taken very seriously. Annual check-ups will save you money and energy, keep your family safe, avoid major breakdowns and improve overall efficiency and lifespan of your HVAC system. If you’re due for a check-up, schedule an appointment today. We’re happy to help!