You’ve accepted the challenge of hosting your friends and family for the Super Bowl. You have the food covered, the drinks prepared, and the decorations up. But is your heating system prepared to keep everyone warm all day? Here are ten tips to ensure your heating is prepared to handle the cold for the big game:
- In rooms you are using, make sure the vents are open and unblocked. Move clothes, furniture and anything else that might be blocking airflow from your vents.
- If the sun is shining, open your curtains to let the sunlight warm up the room. As soon as it gets dark, shut the curtains to keep the warmth inside your home.
- Check for air leaks around your windows and doors and block off any cold air that may be getting inside.
- If you have a chimney and don’t plan on using it for this day, make sure its flue and draft are closed. An open chimney will pull all of the hot air out of your home. You can also block the chimney with a fireplace insert insulation to reduce further heat loss.
- Buy or borrow a space heater for the day. Space heaters are perfect for events like the Super Bowl because they will keep your living room warm all day.
- Reverse the direction of your ceiling fan to clockwise. This will create an updraft pushing warm air from the ceiling back down.
- As more people come inside, crank down the thermostat to ensure a comfortable temperature throughout the day.
- Cover your floor with rugs. Trap in the extra heat that usually escapes through floorboards by using rugs made of heavier fabric, such as wool, providing extra insulation. The rugs will make the floor feel warmer and bring a cozier atmosphere for your guests.
- When you finish your baking for the day, leave the stove open and let your home fill with the heat and wonderful aromas.
If you have time, we strongly recommend an HVAC maintenance check before your Super Bowl event. This is a good time to check your annual check-up off your to-do list. The last thing you want is your HVAC system to breakdown when hosting friends and family. Give us a call today to schedule an appointment, we’re happy to help!